Talented Taylor Amato

For this week’s Where Are They Now?, we have a 2015 graduate and my oldest sister, Taylor Amato. In high school, Taylor was greatly involved in the arts department, starring in lead roles in Audubon’s spring musicals including Cosette in Les Miserable and Miss Dorothy Brown in Thoroughly Modern Millie. As well, she was the flute section leader in marching band, and was a part of All-South and All-State choirs. Continue reading to see what Taylor has accomplished since Audubon!

Jordan: Hey Tay, thanks for doing this.

Taylor: No problem, Jor.

Jordan: I know how involved in music you were in high school. Can you tell me how you’ve pursued it in college?

Taylor: Well, I just finished earning my bachelors degree at Rowan University, majoring in Music Education this past December. I’ve shifted my performance goals from musical theatre, towards classical performance and opera.

Jordan: That’s really cool sis, have you had any memorable roles while studying at Rowan?

Taylor: I have gotten to perform the roles of Lakmé in The Flower Duet, Valencienne in The Merry Widow, Gretel in Hansel and Gretel, Mother Superior in Suor Angelica with the Rowan University’s Opera Company.

Jordan: Thats awesome Tay, have you gotten to perform at any profound venues?

Taylor: I’ve gotten to experience many different performance opportunities since high school, which include working with the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra and performance venues such as Carnegie Hall, Count Basie Center for the Arts and the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

Jordan: So what kind of music have you performed with this group?

Taylor: I have gotten to perform larger choral works including Beethoven’s 5th Symphony, Requiems of Verdi, Mozart, Howells, and Duruflé. This was all under the direction of Chris Thomas with the Rowan Concert Choir. I have also performed contemporary works including To the Hands by Caroline and the world premiere of Open Minds by Rob Redei.

Jordan: Wow, it seems like you’ve really been involved at Rowan. How is college been different than high school?

Taylor: I would say one thing that’s different in college compared to high school is the importance of juggling real life responsibilities while going to school.

Jordan: Was there anything for high school that influenced you the most?

Taylor: Definitely my music educators, especially my choir director, Duane Trowbridge, he inspired me to major in Music Education.

Jordan: It seems that Mr. Trowbridge was your favorite teacher from Audubon, do you have any favorite memories from high school?

Taylor: My favorite memories in high school were participating in the musicals and in marching band.

Jordan: Ok, one last question for you: Do you have any advice for thoses who are still in high school?

Taylor: Well, one thing I wish I knew in high school was how strong I truly am, and that the world is much bigger and different than the very small group of people we go to high school with.

Jordan: That some great advice, thank you again, sis!

Taylor: Of course!