• December 14Dept. of Education to Cancel $150 Million in Student Loan Debt

• December 12Trump's Former Lawyer Michael Cohen Gets 3 Years In Prison

• December 12ICE Arrests 170 Immigrants Seeking to Sponsor Migrant Children

• December 11Google+ To Be Shut Down After Bug Reveals Private Information Of 52.5 Million People

• December 6Five Marines Missing After U.S. Warplanes Collide Off Japan

• December 5First Baby Born After Deceased Womb Transplant

• December 4Law Officer Says UK Can Cancel Brexit

• December 3Polio-Like Illness AFM 'Appears To Have Peaked' In US For The Year

• December 3Asian Longhorned Ticks Spreading In The US, Now In 9 States

• December 3Amazon Briefly Became The World's Most Valuable Company

Filed under The Wave

“It’s OK to be White” Posters Resurface on College Campuses

Back to Article
Back to Article

Once more, the infamous “It’s OK to be white.” posters have begun springing up on two college campuses, Champlain College and the University of Vermont. The staffs of the universities claim that it wasn’t perpetrated by students.

Reports of the posters have also sprouted in Oregon, California (notably the San Francisco area), and Ottawa, Canada. As expected, the general opinion of students and campus-goers lies somewhere between being perceived as minor annoyances to emotional triggers and vandalous provocation. However, the mini-movement has also seen its fair share of equally vocal support on social media as well.

This begs the question, however: Just what is the “It’s OK to be White” movement?

Backtracking about a year around this time brings us to ground-zero of this movement, originating from none other than the anonymous imageboard of 4chan on their political forum, /pol/. A discussion arises with the goal of creating an open, public display to expose what is perceived as a bias against white people by large media corporations who are often believed by the users of the forum to harbor heavy left-wing biases.

What is concocted is a message; simple, candid, harmless. Pasted on plain white paper in an unremarkable font: “It’s OK to be White.” This unassuming statement would, as the /pol/ users believed, would serve as a proof of concept that the media goliaths could almost be toyed with into lashing out at anything that the 4chan users believed violated their agenda. This would, in turn, make their racial bias more evident to a larger audience and possibly bring them under the wing of the right wing. 

At the end of the day, however, it was largely a form of entertainment for many involved, enticed by the idea of so easily being able to toy with, in a sense, their home website’s mortal rival: big media.

Nonetheless, 4chan users across the country and even abroad took to the streets, donning their fistfulls of white fliers. The word spread rather fast, partially attributed to the fact that this was not many of the participating /pol/ users’ first forays into online boat-rocking and political mischief. Many of which were already veterans from Shia Labeouf’s flag-stealing fiasco, where users from 4chan triangulated the flight patterns of overhead planes to locate a live streaming camera and “He Will Not Divide Us Flag” placed in a field not long after Donald Trump’s election as US President and taking it down, placing a red MAGA cap on top of the pole.

Cities and campuses laid dotted with the tiny fliers, and you could argue that on a common citizen’s level, it accomplished its mission of gaining negative attention. The posters were, as expected, vilified as racist drivel and many drew connections to possible relation by white nationalist groups.

Now with the resurgence of the fabled white posters, one has to wonder if this marks the second offensive of the internet in their larger crusade against the “normies”.

• The Wave

The “Struggles” of a Twitch Streamer

• “It’s OK to be White” Posters Resurface on College Campuses

The Wave

6ix9ine to Face Life in Prison Over Racketeering Charges

The Wave

Chinese Retailers Drop Dolce & Gabbana Products After Racially Insensitive Video

The Wave

Stan Lee: Marvel Mogul Passes Away at 95

The Wave

Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor: A Lesson in Trash Talk

The Wave

Eminem vs. Machine Gun Kelly: Hip-Hop Fossils Trade Disses After Eminem’s Surprise Album Release

World News

Home is the Most Dangerous Place for Women

Creative Pieces

Epic How to- Spin a Fidget Spinner

Comics

Under Arrest

• Creative Pieces

A Maze