• February 14Kaepernick Excluded From Home State's Black History Month Resolution

• February 14NASA Bids Farewell to Mars Rover Opportunity After 15-year Mission

• February 14Pot Smoking in Adolescence Linked to Depression in Adulthood

• February 13Man Accidentally Finds A Tiger In An Abandoned House In Texas

• February 13Former White House Aide Cliff Sims Sues Trump

• February 13Fox News Host Who Hasn't Washed Hands In Years Thinks "Germs Are Not A Real Thing"

• February 13RNC Uses Hillary Clinton's 'Stronger Together' Slogan For Trump

• February 11Russia To Test Cyber-War Defenses

• February 8Minor League Ballpark Bans Peanut Sales to Cater to Fans with Allergies

• February 8Hall of Famer and Baseball's First Black Manager Frank Robinson Dies at Age 83

A Chemical Engineering Student Gives India’s Discarded Flowers a Purpose

Back to Article
Back to Article

Have you ever thought about what happens to flowers at religious ceremonies, weddings, or festivals? Parimala Shivaprasad, 27-year-old PhD chemical engineering student, realized the surplus amount of flowers that were wasted in India and wanted to continue their purpose.

Parimala recently launched her own company, Retra, which means fragrance in Sanskrit, that will collect the discarded flowers, extract their essential oils, and use the body of the flower for compost. A first run of this project has been funded by the University of Bath and will be completed at a local temple.

The flowers, that are so abundant they are said to contribute to a third of the country’s total solid waste, are also causing damage and harm to the country’s waterways.

The student explains this by explaining, “Our lakes are suffocating thanks to the algae bloom caused by the discarded flowers.”

Water Polution

Parimala’s project is also providing employment to the local women and a share of the profits is going to the temple where the pilot run will be completed. She also plans to give the compost of flowers to the local’s gardens which would carry out the purpose even further back into the Earth instead of in the already polluted waterways in India.