• March 7'Jeopardy' host Alex Trebek Reveals He Has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

• March 6London Patient Could Be Second Cured Of HIV

• March 6California AG Declines to Bring Charges Against Officers Who Shot Stephon Clark

• March 6Several Passengers Hurt as Cruise Ship Tilts When Hit by Sudden 115 mph Gust

• March 6Thousands Stranded at Kenyan Airports

• March 6North Korea Rebuilding Rocket Launch Site

• March 6Santa Anita Suspending Racing After 21 Horses Die at the Racetrack

• March 6FDA Expected To Approve Esketamine Nasal Spray For Depression

• March 6TV Star Luke Perry Died After Suffering A Stroke At Age 52

• February 25Microsoft Workers Protest $480M Military Deal to Produce Battlefield Headsets

Filed under Student Life

The Truth About Graduation

We sat down with Mr. Buchs to get to the bottom of things

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Truth About Graduation

The story spread through the school like wildfire: The Audubon Board of Education had decided that the graduating class of 2019 would be wearing green gowns during the ceremonies, instead of the tradition of males in green and girls in white of graduations past. The reason? The GSA club, making a case for the uniform robes due to students questioning their gender identity. The only problem? Every part of that story is completely wrong.

On December 12, 2018, senior Lori Jones went around AHS to get students to sign a petition regarding “The Graduation Crisis of 2019.” Within just three periods, Lori had over 100 signatures, each supporting the decision to allow every senior the option to choose which color gown they’d prefer for graduation. By the end of the day on Thursday, she collected over 270 and is aiming to get even more. It is unknown how many signatures are required to further persuade the Board to allow white gowns to be worn, but Lori is working to get as many as possible.

However, the petition is no longer needed considering the fact that seniors will be wearing white and green at graduation. We sat down with Mr. Buchs to discuss the arguments on social media regarding the gown issue that was simply just a rumor. He explained to us that the seniors will most likely be wearing white and green on the field, even though he personally does not want this arrangement. Mr. Buchs says that these, “are not our school colors; we’re not Camden Catholic or West Deptford,” and that they should really be green and gold. However, he believes that the gold color is, “ugly as sin,” so it is safe to assume that students will not be wearing gold in any years to come. However, if you are not a senior but a strong advocate for wearing just one color at graduation, you will be happy to hear that this was the initial decision at AHS, and if, “you’re really going to be traditional, it started as only one color.” Alas, Mr. Buchs stated that there is a very low chance of The Class of 2019 resembling a true green wave of robes in June, but it is a strong consideration for the underclassmen. Will there be another petition from The Class of 2020? Only time will tell, and the rumors will spread just as they have before.

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Sleepy Student Given A New Perspective

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Support the AHS Musical Production

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Academic Challenge Needs You!

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Bring a Jacket to Your Classes

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

“StandUp” For a Good Cause

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Thanksgiving Blood Drive

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Girls Soccer Goes to States!

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Grab Your Basket and Head to Grandma’s!

• The Truth About Graduation

Student Life

Pink vs. Purple

• Student Life

Senior Scholarship Opportunity

The Truth About Graduation