High School Graduate’s Caps and Gowns Will Also Help The Environment

Back to Article
Back to Article

Graduating from high school is a milestone everyone looks forward to once they step foot in kindergarten. Walking across the stage and receiving a diploma is all students can think about in the weeks before graduation. As it approaches, people think back to all of their achievements and all of the memories they’ll take with them in addition to what their future holds.

For next year’s class of 2020 in Atlanta Public Schools, they will be have the memory of helping the environment by doing something as simple as wearing their caps and gowns. They will be helping the environment and reducing the use of single-use plastics just by wearing their cap and gown.

This project can be attributed to Coca-Cola’s campaign #CocaColaRenew which strives to make a difference in local communities and the planet. During Earth Week Coca-Cola began collecting over 7,000 water bottles.

These plastics will be sorted and cleaned in North Carolina then broken down into pellets which will be woven into polyester yarn fabric. From there the fabric will be shaped into caps and gowns.

According to Good News Network, the superintendent of Atlanta Public Schools, Dr Meria Carstarphen, is thankful for the donation from Coca-Cola and comments on how “[This] donation will help alleviate the burden of the cost of caps and gowns which are apart of senior fees which families sometimes struggle to afford. “