• November 19Chickenpox Outbreak in US, Thanks to Anti-Vaxxers

• November 19US Man Jailed For Life After Murdering His Family

• November 19Deadly Shooting at Chicago Hospital

• November 19Outrage after Bill Maher disses comic book culture after Stan Lee's Death

• November 15LeBron James passes Wilt Chamberlain for fifth on NBA's all-time scoring list

• November 15Blake Snell and Jacob deGrom win 2018 Cy Young Awards

• November 14Camp Fire Becomes Deadliest Fire in California History

• November 14Exoplanet Discovered Around Neighbouring Star

• November 2Migrants Traveling to US To Sue Trump: Claim Violation Of Constitutional Rights

Eminem vs. Machine Gun Kelly: Hip-Hop Fossils Trade Disses After Eminem’s Surprise Album Release

Jonas Anziano, Article Writer Man

Put lightly, Eminem’s recent career has been a rollercoaster. After his lackluster return to the hip-hop scene with his “Revival” album that dropped and subsequently flopped in mid-December of last year, Eminem rocketed back into the limelight this August with his new surprise album “Kamikaze”. The album shotgunned disses at a whole plethora of major figures inside and outside the scene ranging from Joe Budden, Lil Pump, Vince Staples, Tyler the Creator, Donald Trump, and most notably, Machine Gun Kelly.

These remarks received varying degrees of backlash from their recipients. Joe Budden, another industry semi-veteran, now a broadcaster for hip-hop news and drama, returned fire at Em, claiming that he’s seen more commercial success than him for a better part of the decade.

Budden, who announced his retirement from music in 2016, is a former member of the rap group “Slaughterhouse”, which many credit Em with bringing into fame. That being said, Budden, between his now at-rest music career and his broadcasting career, has been altogether more active up to this point than Em has this decade. You could argue on the behalf of either party that they’ve had a more successful decade than the other.

Some figures, however, chose to fight Em on an even playing field. Machine Gun Kelly and Em have had some long-standing beef centering around Kelly’s comments over Em’s daughter from 2012. Needless to say, Em firing shots at MGK ignited the powder keg.

The beef began to gain serious traction when Kelly released his response track, “Rap Devil”, dropped less than a week after Kamikaze’s release. The song sent its own fusillade back at Em, bringing to light every corner of their history together, taking every opportunity and then some to point out the fact that Eminem’s career is now far beyond the point of being washed up.

Fans and fellow celebrities alike began to weigh in on the beef. Vince Staples poked fun at the duo in a video, stating:

“I know nobody asked me this, but I really think MGk and Eminem should just run it real quick. Meet in a neutral location, like a Cracker Barrel or Trader Joe’s, somewhere where they both comfortable, and just squabble up.”

A couple weeks after Rap Devil dropped, Eminem released “Killshot”, filled with equally brutal verses aimed back at MGK and soaring up to Billboard’s top 10 almost immediately. As of writing this article, it still sits at the #3 spot.

Machine Gun Kelly later opened a concert for Fall Out Boy, asking the concertgoers to put their middle fingers up for him while he took a selfie. He revealed to the audience that he was wearing a t-shirt with Killshot’s cover on it, tweeting the selfie with the caption “He missed.” A video of the concert circulating around the web shows the audience booing offstage, but there is evidence that the audio may be doctored as only in that video can any booing be heard.

As of now, the heat seems to have died down once more. Whether or not either will make any more big moves against the other remains to be seen, but it is unlikely that this will be the last we hear from either of these artists.

About the Writer
Jonas Anziano, Writer

Jonas Anziano is a writer for The Current and author of The Wave section of the paper. An aficionado of coffee and excessively bitter chocolate, he scours...

• Eminem vs. Machine Gun Kelly: Hip-Hop Fossils Trade Disses After Eminem’s Surprise Album Release

The Wave

Stan Lee: Marvel Mogul Passes Away at 95

The Wave

Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor: A Lesson in Trash Talk

World News

California’s ‘Camp Fire’ Becomes Deadliest Fire in its History

• Writing

Luther

• Creative Pieces

Emotionally Followed

Creative Pieces

Mys Halloweens Costume

Student Life

Girls Soccer Goes to States!

The Wave

• Music

Nirvana

• Creative Pieces

Botworld Part 3: Tedbert’s New Friends