Ethan E. Strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ethan E. Strong

If you do your homework, one day you can look as good as I do.

It’s finally that time folks. After a long year, the seniors are parting with The Parrot (crying over leaving The Current? If only). Looking back over this year, I am truly amazed at what we’ve managed to accomplish. Twelve students, one of them home bound for an entire year, and a teacher new to Journalism, each of us lacking any experience whatsoever, and a directive to make the paper “be online.” We were newspaper neophytes in every sense of the word. Through an enormous amount of blood, sweat, and tears (shoutout to Noah Pennock for being the only one competent enough to figure out the website), we’ve managed to put together a paper that is objectively the best online newspaper this school has ever produced. Now, with hundreds of stories reported on, music, video games, and movies reviewed, along with podcast episodes recorded and edited, alumni, students, and teachers interviewed, creative pieces written, Grubb’s pubbed, and whatever it is that Jonas does, I am quite satisfied with the foundation we’ve built for future generations of Parrot Reporters. And who could forget Mrs. Pitt, our valiant knight, always ready to fight the administration on our behalf and get our class working, all while dealing with hundreds of other students.

Now, some cliches for you underclassmen to roll your eyes at, as I did when I was in your shoes (or maybe you’ll follow some of my advice if you’re wiser than I was). I know graduation seems about a million years away, but four years isn’t a particularly long time, and I know that realization is starting to set in for you Juniors. No one wants to hear this, but your grades throughout high school matter, whether you’ve diligently planned your life out to a T or you’re as lost and directionless as a wage slave wandering the pre-apocalyptic wasteland of late-stage capitalism (something you probably wish to prevent). So no matter who you are: Study for tests, quizzes, and the SATs, and do your dang homework.

Aside from this, I’d encourage you to get involved, or as my colleague Ethan Trieu says, “Be bold, in all your endeavors.” I guarantee you that joining clubs, sports, or organizations that you are interested in will lead to memorable experiences and lifelong bonds formed with like-minded people. Looking back at the things I regret about high school, I find that most of them are things I didn’t do rather, than things I did. Don’t make my mistakes.

Ethan E. Strong