Words of Wisdom from Becca Williams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Words of Wisdom from Becca Williams

For this week’s Where Are They Now? I decided to catch up with 2018 graduate Becca Williams. Being a junior when I was a freshman, Becca was always someone I looked up to.  She is definitely someone I would go to for advice concerning any aspect of life, and I’m excited to share with you what she has to say.

Jordan: Hi Becca, so what have you been up to since graduation?

Becca: College, working, traveling as usual.

Jordan: Nice, so what college are you going to and what’s your major?

Becca: Camden County College for audio production. There’s a lot more freedom in college, not only in your schedule but who you choose to associate with or not.

Jordan: Yeah, I can see how different college can be from high school. Did anything inspire you to go for audio production?

Becca: I didn’t want to go to college because I felt everyone in high school was just school and college-oriented to go be a nurse or a lawyer, and lead a boring life they didn’t like and that sounded terrible to me (still does). However, one day I was hanging out with my friend Jake and saw him working on work for audio production and realized that it would be a decently viable option given that it was offered at CCC. I wouldn’t go into debt, it was actually interesting, and wouldn’t leave me at a 9-5 job. I remember a time when I was at a concert and joking around that I could do the sound, I realised that I should probably at least try.

Jordan: I always find it interesting hearing people’s thought processes of how they decided what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives. So what are some of your favorite memories from high school, activities, teachers?

Becca: I’ll actually forever miss Tro, Madame, Mr.Rogers, and Tiedeken. If I ever get married they’re 100% getting an invitation to the wedding. Other than that, I didn’t do much aside from musical and choir and looking back I just wish I did more. Not necessarily sports, because I’ve always hated sports. But perhaps picked up an instrument or joined EMS.

Jordan: I think we all miss Mr.Tro!! Okay, one final question for you: what is one thing you wish you knew when you were in high school?

Becca: Literally so much. Senior year is an admittedly kind of scary year because you’re leaving school and up until that point it’s all we really know. Despite having traveled the world and seen what I’ve been so lucky to see, I still didn’t know true life outside of high school.  That being said, I think I’d want everyone in the school, ESPECIALLY the freshman that…

1. It’s okay to feel stressed and tired, even if adults say you shouldn’t because you’re “too young.”
  2. Dress up if you want to, wear sweats if you want to, you’re gonna have lazy days and you’re gonna have days where you wanna just go for it and both are okay. Just be comfortable and confident in who you are because the clothes and look don’t matter.
  3. I swear to God, just be nice to each other. It’s really not that hard. Quit the drama, it’s completely pointless. When they say you’re not going to talk to the people you went to high school with the second you graduate, they’re not kidding. It’s not as scary as it seems.
  4. If you think something is interesting and might want to give it a try but are scared, do it anyway because it doesn’t matter if a friend does it with you or not; you’re going to make more friends in it.
  5. Focus. On. Your. Mental. Health. It is important. If you need a minute so that you don’t cry in the middle of class (because I’ve seen it happen) go to the guidance office and just drink some water.
  6. Lastly, I think seniors, if you don’t know what you want to do with your life, that’s fine, because high school doesn’t define who you are going to become, YOU DO!

Jordan: Wow thank you, this is some really good advice and I think a lot of people can benefit from it. It was good catching up with you.