One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Spoilers ahead!

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus is a murder mystery novel that’s slightly better than your average bear. It tells the story of five high school students being held in detention: Bronwyn Rojas, the nerd, Addy Prentiss, the popular princess, Cooper Clay, the jock, Nate Maccauley, the criminal, and Simon Kelleher, who runs the schools gossip app. When Simon gets up to go fill his water bottle at one of the sinks in the class, he takes a sip but falls over, apparently suffering an allergic reaction. According to the autopsy, he ingested a large amount of peanut oil before his death which was obviously the culprit in this untimely murder . . . *Ahem*, excuse me, I mean death.

All four of the students are called down to the police station where it was revealed that the day before his death, he released devastating secrets on his gossip app about the four students. It goes as follows: Bronwyn stole test answers, Nate deals drugs, Addy cheated on her boyfriend, and Cooper is using steroids to enhance his performance. Chaos erupts as the two become key suspects in his murder and all are subjected to utter torment from school, friends, and family as Simon continues to queue posts about these four always insinuating that one of them is the murderer.

It’s later revealed that throughout the muck of drama, the “murder club” met at a coffee shop in an effort to clear their name. Through their efforts they find out that Simon commited suicide and wanted to bring people down with him like every other mass-murderer in America but Simon wanted to do it with more genius than anyone else. Of course, there’s way more where that came from, but you get the gist.

Overall, I didn’t expect the outcome. Because of the way I explained it, you may think that you would have expected the outcome but I assure you, you wouldn’t. The author presented the information in a particularly clever way, though it was a little too corny for my liking. A little too monotonous among the many other murder mystery novels. However, without comparing the book to the vast many others out there, I would give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars.